The New Orleans Peoples’ Assembly “Fight Back Manifesto” is not intended to cover every single issue and instance of concern. It does address key areas that we collectively are affected by, and must organize for, as immediate priorities. As we achieve these demands, we will be in better position to expand our goals.
We oppose and will resist what harms our communities, while building toward tangible solutions to allow the masses of working class people a chance to live lives that are healthy and whole.
For any elected official or office holder, we call on you to support this program or move out of the way as an obstacle. We lean on the power of the people! Our time, energy, resources and votes will be used to achieve our program. Here is our program for 2017:
- We oppose all forms of jail and prison expansion.
- We oppose, the current DA Cannizzaro who must be removed from his position.
- We oppose imperialist wars that suck the tax payers’ resources from being proactively invested in the well-being of humanity.
Instead, we DEMAND the following:
1) Year-long Jobs, Recreation, Mental Health Services for Youth and Adults, and an Adult Public Jobs Program of at least 10,000 Public Jobs with Living Wages
2) Affordable Housing and a Roll Back on Taxes, Pre-Katrina Levels for Households Under $75,000
3) 100% Funded Relocation of Gordon Plaza Residents Who Live on Life Threatening Toxic Land that is too Dangerous for Human Life. Most Environmental Issues are Human Made and Must Be Corrected and Prevented
4) “The Hospitality Workers Bill of Rights” and work week ordinance to be City Approved and Honored in Practice
5) Full Funding and Building of 40,000 Homes for Former Residents of New Orleans Pushed Out of the City by the Aftermath of Katrina
6) Fully Funded, Quality Community Controlled Public Schools
7) Improved and Timely 24 Hour RTA Bus Routes, especially in New Orleans East and Algiers, with Improved Bus Stops that Provide Adequate Seating and Protection from Inclement Weather, Along Pot-hole Free Streets
8) Full Funding or Building of 100 (24 Hour) Community Based Child Care Centers Across the City
9) New Orleans to Serve as Official Sanctuary City, so that ALL Residents Are Safe from ALL Forms of State Sanctioned Violence, or Deportations, and Where Traffic/Profiling Cameras Are Abolished
10) Full Accountability (Includes Consent Decree) for ALL Police Who Operate in Orleans Parish