The New Orleans Peoples’ Assembly “Fight Back Manifesto” is not intended to cover every single issue and instance of concern. It does address key areas that we collectively are affected by, and must organize for, as immediate priorities. As we achieve these demands, we will be in better position to expand our goals.
We oppose and will resist what harms our communities, while building toward tangible solutions to allow the masses of working class people a chance to live lives that are healthy and whole.
For any elected official or office holder, we call on you to support this program or move out of the way as an obstacle. We lean on the power of the people! Our time, energy, resources and votes will be used to achieve our program. We are committed to educate, agitate and organize. Here is what we are against, and what we are for:
- We oppose all forms of policing practices, surveillance, jail and prison
- We oppose imperialist wars and imperialist practices
The above suck the tax payers’ resources from being proactively invested in the well-being of humanity. They also limit the imagination of everyday people from the fullness of problem solving at the root cause of concerns, in an effort to proactively address problems before they occur, and address problems during and after they occur in transformative ways.
Instead, we DEMAND the following necessities for life and living:
- Access to nourishing food, clean air and water. NOTE: No one should suffer unnecessarily, nor die prematurely due to a lack of these.
- Access to healthy housing for all. Example: 100% Funded Relocation of Gordon Plaza Residents Who Live on Life Threatening Toxic Land that is too Dangerous for Human Life. Most Environmental Issues Are Human Made and Must Be Corrected and Prevented.
- Access to liberating educational experience. Example: 100% Resourced, Quality Community Controlled Neighborhood Public Schools.
- Access to efficient public transportation. Example: 100% Resourced Timely 24 Hour RTA Bus Routes, especially in New Orleans East and Algiers, with Improved Bus Stops that Provide Adequate Seating and Protection from Inclement Weather, Along Pot-hole Free Streets.
- Access to public spaces. Examples:Fully funded libraries, parks, beaches, recreation centers and pools, meetings spaces, open play spaces for recreation incl. walking, running, wheeling, biking, skating.
- Access to collective child care. Examples: Full Funding or Building of Community Based Child Care Centers Across the City.
We also demand that if people must work to survive and live:
- Safe Work Conditions: NOTE: No worker should have to be exposed to or tolerate preventable unsafe work conditions.
- Living Wages: NOTE: If the cost of living rises, the wages must rise so that people can live.
- “Hospitality & City Wide Workers Bill of Rights” and work week ordinance to be collectively agreed upon and honored in practice.